The Zizzler in New York City

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Graffiti @ Brooklyn Museum of Art

I love museums with "suggested donation" prices. The BMA suggests $4 for students and $8 general. Pay what you can, man. Anyway, I wanted to see the Graffiti beginnings exhibit before it left town this weekend. It's been getting a lot of press, in NewYork Mag and the like- more about the history, rather than the exhibit itself. I took the trek to Parkslope to meet my friend Jason at the museum. I got there early, so I took advantage and checked out the rest of the museum. I love Egyptian artifacts, and the BMA has a ridiculous collection from Early to Late Egyptian periods, including a ton of sarcophagi. More interesting, is the extensive collection of "cosmetic" cases and tools. They have cases and cases of actual kohl applicators and jars! That sort of blows my mind- to see the actual day to day possessions of Egyptians from thousands of years ago. I mean, statues and tomb goods are one thing. But eyeliner? That's just so, real.
There is also an interesting American Art collection- from paintings to sculpture to furniture. Being the weirdo I am, I love that there's not only a painting of Niagara Falls, but also some china and even a Niagara Falls pitcher (ugliest thing ever.)
The Graffiti exhibit was small, but informative. I am more impressed with the story, rather than the works. Also, I had to keep in mind that the artists' greatest masterpieces were on trains and buildings and have long since been painted over. They had a sort of cheesy wall area where you could "make your own graffiti". You know, because living in New York City, you wouldn't otherwise have an opportunity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home